"Light and darkness, brightness, and obscurity, or if a more general expression is preferred, light and its absence, are necessary to the production of color… Color itself is a degree of darkness"
With this work, the concept of suicide is re-imagined, inspired by a new set of 7 quotes from history's greatest thinkers.
1. To forbid something is to make it unforgettable
Adam Phillips 2016
2. "the ultimate and absolute evil, the refusal to take an interest in existence"
G. K. Chesterton 1908
3. “Man cannot become attached to higher aims and submit to a rule if he sees nothing above him to which he belongs. To free him from all social pressure is to abandon him to himself and demoralize him.”
Émile Durkheim, On Suicide: A Study in Sociology 1897
4. "Our ultimate goal, after all, is not a good death but a good life to the very end"
Atul Gawande 2015
5. “No man ever threw away life while it was worth keeping.”
David Hume 1777
6. "Our emotional ties, the unbearable intensity of our grief, make us disinclined to court dangers for ourselves and those belonging to us" Sigmund Freud 1916
7. "Devoutly to be wish'd. To die, to sleep; To sleep: perchance to dream: ay, there's the rub; For in that sleep of death what dreams may come"
William Shakespeare 1603
Thanks to everyone that was involved in the production of this album and The force that causes coincidences.
released July 7, 2016
Written and Performed by Federico Balducci
Guitar and Sonic Design: Federico Balducci
Electric Keyboard : Sara Laureano
Produced by Federico Balducci for Sorrow Ship
Mastering: Rotary Records
Art Direction and Design: Federico Balducci